Tuesday, June 4, 2013

First day of my internship!

I woke up at 6:30am this morning - 30 minutes after briefly waking up from hearing the call to prayer outside, a daily ritual- and proceeded to go through my new process of getting ready. Bathing with water from the basin; covering myself from head to toe in bug repellent; sunscreen. I had hot tea for breakfast. I forfeited food since I'm trying to take it easy on my stomach. Then around 7:30am I hopped on the back of David's motorcycle and he dropped me at work. Despite it being so early (or early to me) the roads were busy and people were already very hard at work. The work ethic here is unlike anywhere I've ever seen. When I was in Europe I often asked myself, "When do these people work?" The bars were always full of people at mid-day, there was siesta, shops and restaurants were never open the same time they were the day before. It seemed like people work whenever they have nothing better to do. Which is a nice, relaxing a lifestyle. This is not the case in Uganda. People work from sun-up to far past sun-down. Here I catch myself asking, "When do these people not work?"
When I arrived to work I was introduced to everyone and went through a little orientation. Everyone is sooo nice! Also, the person that was supposed to do the rest of my orientation today was unable to come in because she was having car problems in Kampala, but one of the girls told me that she too is an American from California. Small world. After orientation I sat in a meeting with the documentation department (my department) about tomorrow's activity. We're meeting with about 60 survivors from the Lord's Resistance Army (LRA) conflict to discuss a new transitional justice policy to see what their thoughts about it are. Just a reminder...I'm working for The Justice and Reconciliation Project that investigates how transitional justice (TJ) can best be implemented in the communities of Northern Uganda that were most effected by the LRA in the 20ish year conflict. They focus on documentation, gender justice, and community mobilization. I'm part of the documentation department which travels to different communities and interviews people in order to document what happened to them. The documentation is turned into reports which helps preserve memory and is used for advocacy purposes.
After the meeting I spent most of the day reading past reports and field notes. Then around 1:00pm I went to lunch with three girls from work: Rita, Evelyn and Harriet. We went to a restaurant a couple streets away from JRP. This wasn't any restaurant that you may be thinking of though. It resembled a large shack with about six tables and chairs. There wasn't really a kitchen, but burners on the ground cooking some sort of meat and rice. I haven't really learned what everything is called yet, so the girls ordered me whatever they got. It was some sort of meat (I still can't tell the meats apart...it's either cow, goat or boar..lol) in a gravy like sauce with white rice and white "bread" that sort of looks like mashed potatoes. Now, I'm only trying to give you a visualization. The food isn't bad. My stomach is having to adjust to a few things, but all in all, it's been fairly smooth. And the food isn't bad at all, it's just different. I'll tell you one thing, I don't have to worry about processed crap, GMO, etc. It's nice to know that it's all fairly simple. Also, silverware isn't a given here. I had silverware at lunch...but at the wedding I went to on Saturday night I didn't have any. You just eat with your hands. Let me tell ya, eating rice with your hands is a challenge! lol It's kinda fun though. You just have to summon your inner child. Also, napkins and paper towels are rare; however, there's a rinse station outside that you wash at before and after you eat. Can you imagine all the trees and landfill space everyone would save if this was a universal practice?! See, there's pros and cons to everything. Lunch was good. Oh and there was a little kitty in the restaurant that I shared my lunch with. I couldn't help myself! Plus, I know he enjoyed it. :0)
After lunch we returned to the office and got back to work. It started to storm in the afternoon which was nice. Nothing compared to last night's storm though. Last night it was coming down in buckets! It was wonderful! After work I decided to try my luck at walking back home. It's about a half hour walk. To my surprise, I didn't get lost! When I got home I rinsed my feet in cold water and wrapped them in a wet towel. My feet and right hand are quite swollen from the mosquito bites. Sigh. Hopefully that gets better. They seem to only be biting where the repellent probably doesn't stay on too long...like my feet, hands, and face. Anyway, I'm pretty exhausted. Again, I miss alll of you SO MUCH!
Also, I'll try to take more pictures so you can see what I'm talking about instead of me having to describe it. I already stick out like a sore thumb, so I'm trying not to stick out anymore with a camera flashing every which way.
Nighty night! I hope your lullaby is as nice as mine: croaking frogs, squealing pigs, and the occasional cock-a-doodling rooster. :0)

No comments:

Post a Comment