Sunday, June 30, 2013

The adjustments continue...

Hey out there. I hope everyone is well. I'm adjusting a bit better now which is nice; however, life continues to be much harder here than anywhere else I've been or lived. First I want to show you some pictures of the place I'm now living.
 View from my porch
 Living room
 Front door
 Bedroom
 Porch
 My kitchen that's connected to my porch
 My bathroom - shower
My "toilet"
Lovely pad, eh? Like I said...adjustments. But it's not too bad. I'm glad to have some of my own space and that people who live in my compound continue to be very kind. For example, yesterday, I went to a house party with them because the Scottish guy, Chris, leaves soon. There was tons of food and drinks! There were sausages, goat, cabbage, cassava chips that tasted like french fries! It was great...until I fainted to the ground twice in front of e-v-e-r-y-o-n-e....30+ people. TWICE! Luckily there were a lot of Ugandan doctors and medical students there that were very helpful. We chalked it up to dehydration which I think is completely accurate. When someone gave me some water I immediately felt better. Then I thought about it and I hadn't had any water to drink since I left West Nile on Thursday...it was now Saturday night. That combined with hot weather and drinking alcohol...not a smart mix. For those of you that know me fairly well, you know that I really don't drink much water and I have to consciously remind myself to keep drinking it. Lesson learned...hopefully. It's so strange because my body gives me no other warning signs. I didn't have a headache, didn't feel tired or weak, didn't feel dizzy. I was seriously mid-sentence with someone and ...bam! out! I didn't even know what happened until I woke up with everyone surrounding me yelling at me to wake up. Me being me, I tried to shrug it off and insist that I was fine. I stood up for about 2.5 seconds until...bam! out again! lol They got me a chair and some water and then I was finally okay. Ugh. At least I've learned to move past embarrassing moments that I somehow continue to inflict on myself. Sigh.

So, West Nile. I went there last Sunday through Thursday for work. I'm really grateful that I have an opportunity to see so many part of Uganda with my work. West Nile is located in the Northwest region. It's called West Nile as it's West of the Nile, go figure. More specifically, we stayed in Arua and then drove to Ombaci and Lokodi to interview victims from a massacre in 1981. On the way we passed over the Nile river where I saw antelope, boars, and elephants!! 
 Elephants on the way to West Nile
I have a strange relationship with time here. Most of the time I feel like it crawlssss by, but at the same time, I think it's a bit strange that I've already been here a month. I think it helps to have certain things to look forward to like the field trips for work. I have another one coming up the week after next. We're going to Kitgum again for an entire week. Also, I think I may be going to Murchison Falls this weekend and possibly Kidepo National Park the weekend after I get back from Kitgum...and then July will be half over! Murchison Falls has a bunch of animals as does Kidepo, but Kidepo is widely known for the lions that hang out in the trees so that would be awesome to do! Luckily there are some pretty cool things to do to help me pass the time.

On a side-note a bit off topic, if anyone is looking for a good read, I highly recommend Waiting to be Heard by Amanda Knox. It's the memoir of Amanda Knox, the American girl that was wrongly convicted in Perugia for murdering her British roommate. I hadn't followed the case or trial very closely when it was happening, but I remember thinking she was guilty. I remember my Mom continually voicing strong doubts that she was guilty. The verdict ended up being overturned in the appeals court and after reading this book I have absolutely no doubts that she was innocent. Yes, I understand that she's bias...obviously; however, it's not her as a person or writer that I find convincing, it's the clear evidence that she was nowhere near the crime scene when the murder occurred. The biggest reason I recommend this book is it really shows just how unjust a supposedly just system is supposed to be. It's kind of scary. I just think it's good to be somewhat knowledgeable about especially since so many of us (in my cohort) are out traveling different countries. Just a recommendation.

Miss and love everyone!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment